Let the Baby-Making Begin!

LOL, sorry I couldn't resist the title!

Last Thursday I went to see the endocrinologist. They confirmed that I'm insulin resistant and officially diagnosed Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I've started on Metformin/Glucophage. This should help my body process insulin correctly. Also, side effects of the medicine include weight loss and increased/enhanced fertility. So I guess I'm taking care of two birds with one stone! :o)

The endocrinologist said that once I get pregnant I'll have to switch over to insulin during the pregnancy and as long as I breastfeed, so they taught me how to test my blood sugar (yes, I "get" to prick my finger twice a day!) and I'm tracking that each day. I've got goals of where my blood sugar should be two hours after a meal and first thing in the morning (fasting). I also met with a dietician and talked about ways that I can change my diet to help with the PCOS/insulin resistance.

So all in all, it was good, it was productive, and hopefully this medicine will help so that we don't have to get into the heavy hitting fertility treatments!

Jack is being wonderful through all of this! He even let me buy a few baby things!!! lol And we're starting to work on combining our offices so that the middle bedroom can eventually be a nursery. I know that's been the big question... who was going to give up their office? lol Well I think the long term plan is to put a storage shed in the back yard and then Jack would convert part of the garage to his office/library. But for now, we're going to split my office and see how that works.

That's it for now. I'll be sure to update more often, I promise! :o)
~Heather

0 comments: